Monday, August 23, 2010

0 down. 3744 to go.

It's official, they're off! This morning the guys woke up, had some eggs and toast and left at 8:15. Windy City, here they come! They had been gone half an hour and I was sitting on the computer when the kitchen door opens and Steve walks in.

"Miss me already?" I ask.
"We forgot the ipod adaptor."

10 down. 3744 miles to go.

To follow their trail, check out the map.....


View Larger Map

Yesterday we spent a great day with Steve's aunt, uncle, cousins and a couple of close friends so that they could say goodbye. Jon came home with us so they could get an early start this morning. On the way home, Jon and Steve were talking excitedly about the drive and all the places they are going to see.

Jon: "Mazatlan is on the Gulf, right? Everyone told me to stay away from the oil."
Steve: "Nope, on the Pacific."
Jon: "Oh cool."

Jon: "Why are we going to California?"
Steve: "To talk to pastors and try and get some more people to come down for the program."

Jon: "So, where are we staying in Mexico?"
Steve: "Well, it's a mud hut with a bark exterior. When we get there, we are going to have to put tile down because right now it's just a mud floor."
Jon: "Okay, cool."
Steve: "And the bathroom isn't attached to the house. But it's only about 20 feet away."
Jon: "Uh...okay. cool."
Steve: "Just kidding Jon. It's a nice place."


I love Jon because he didn't care. He didn't ask a million questions about the trip before he left. He just said "YES! I'm going to Mexico to volunteer and to have an amazing experience." He made the decision to go in like 2 weeks. It took me MONTHS to come around and I needed every single detail beforehand so that I could feel comfortable about going. I am so thankful for Jon and his love of life and willingness to go anywhere and do anything without worrying. I need me a dose of that.

Stay tuned for more updates in what will likely be a road trip to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment