Tuesday, September 28, 2010

mexican driver's ed

After two weeks of living here I wonder how long it will take me to master the roads. The driving here is confusing to me for a bunch of reasons.

1. Rules seem to be more of a suggestion.
2. The roads are not named. Or if they are, it's not posted anywhere.
3. There are only stop signs on main roads. If you are in a neighborhood, it's each man for himself.
4. Right now, everything looks the same to me. I see signs, but as they're not in my native tongue, I can't associate them with anything.
5. Roads are mostly 2 lanes but if a third guy wants to join in, he can.
6. The only way I know the road we live on, is that I turn left after the speed bump with the car-width sized hole in it.
7. There is one intersections with like 5 roads joining together that could really use a stop sign, traffic light or a man standing in the middle guiding us all. But really, it's the most aggressive driver who gets where he wants to go.
8. I could be turning left to cross traffic and someone will jump ahead of me and dart through as if I weren't even there.
9. Oh and watch out for man holes, they may or may not be covered up.

However...I like not using my turning signal. And thinking of "stop" signs as "yields". I am going to get back to the states and be aggravated at all the law abiding citizens who don't realize how much quicker they could get to their destination if they would just take a Mexican driver's ed class.

1 comment:

  1. You need to move to Massachusetts when you get back then Beth. That is pretty much how they drive here!

    ReplyDelete